Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:44:24 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weirdness with DNS

At 12:06 PM 7/30/01 -0400, Matt Heckaman wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I started seeing this a long time ago, but since it doesn't break anything
>(well, not really) I never got around to writing this email about it. I
>have a machine running 4.3-STABLE as of April 21 2001. When I do a DNS
>lookup on a host that does not exist, it postfixes my domain onto the
>lookup instead of saying Unknown host... At first, I thought there was a
>wildcard DNS entry for lucida.ca, but there isn't. This does not occur
>from any other machines on the LAN, all of which use the same nameservers.
>
>Example:
>
>matt[epsilon]:~% nslookup asdf.lucida.ca
>Server:  epsilon.lucida.ca
>Address:  209.47.215.67
>
>Name:    asdf.lucida.ca.lucida.ca

The UUnet name server show them being the origin of the domain.  Are you
sure they are not doing anything strange with your zone definitions ?  It
sure seems they have a wild card entry

 > set type=mx
 > sdfsfdsdf.lucida.ca.
Server:  ns2.uunet.ca
Address:  142.77.1.5

sdfsfdsdf.lucida.ca     preference = 20, mail exchanger = mail.uunet.ca
lucida.ca       nameserver = ns.uunet.ca
lucida.ca       nameserver = ns2.uunet.ca
mail.uunet.ca   internet address = 209.167.141.3

Get them to send you the zone definition.  Also, you might be better off
asking on the BIND list no ?

         ---Mike