Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 15:26:28 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>, jhs@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, dg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions for Wind River

Reference:
> From:		Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
> To: announce@FreeBSD.ORG
> Date:		Thu, 24 May 2001 15:48:26 -0400 (EDT)
> Message-id:	<Pine.BSF.4.21.0105241547390.58715-100000@vnode.vmunix.com>

Hi,
Chris Coleman wrote:

> When Wind River acquired the software assets of BSDi, they were very good
> about addressing the BSD/OS community as well as addressing the FreeBSD
> developers with direct Q&A sessions with Wind River executives.
>
> However, I still think that the rest of the BSD community and much of the
> Open Source community may still have questions that weren't addressed in
> those Q&A sessions, nor in the "mass media" press releases.
>
> Wind River executives have agreed to Q&A session with Daemon News and we
> are soliciting your questions.

Question:
  Who owns the FreeBSD trademark this year ? And next year ... ;-) ?

  It started with FreeBSD Inc (a jkh + dg combo (Cc'd)), passed to WC or BSDi
  (see claim of ownership on CD liner). BSDi bought WC Inc., Wind River
  bought BSDi interest in FreeBSD.  This is unlikely the last takeover !
  Compaq bought DEC, so Wind River is not too big to be bought.
  Predatory takeovers of companies & assets inc. trademarks can & do occur.

  Could the trademark be assigned back to some safe neutral body that will
  ensure those building on & using FreeBSD code & name for add on businesses
  are not at some later date stung for charges to use a Trademark that's not
  Freebsd.Org property/free, even though the code is `our' property/free ?

PS I'm not on advocacy@ , please cc: jhs@freebsd.org

> If you have concerns or questions for Wind
> River please post them as a comment to the URL listed below and the
> best ones will be used in the interview.
>
> http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1938
>

> <Do NOT reply to this e-mail, post your questions to the URL above>
      ^^^						   ^^^^^^^^^

For Chris C & moderator of announce@:

  As Chris C used moderated announce@freebsd list to promote
  his question (& his web), it seems wrong to require that response
  must avoid the freebsd.org server, Many readers are not permanently
  on line to reply via Chris's Web, & email is easier !

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !
	Like Linux ?	Then also look at FreeBSD with its 5000+ packages !