Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2016 21:43:04 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stanislaw Halik <sthalik@tehran.lain.pl>, "James A. McGuire" <j.a.mcguire@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: noip-2.1.9_3

On 31/08/2016 9:33 PM, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> Hey,
>
> It can sure be changed with a patch. I'd like however to wait for
> someone with ports commit bit to comment as to whether that change
> lies within the scope of what the ports tree does. My understanding
> is that the ports tree generally doesn't introduce new
> functionality.

New functionality is introduced all the time, and I'm not aware of a
policy (defacto or official) that prevents it, other than those limiting
merges to the quarterly branch to bugfixes or security updates. Can you
elaborate on what you mean?

> What you can do however without any ports/ commits is to stop the
> daemon, clobber noip's internal state in the right way, then restart
> it to force an update to be issued, weekly or daily.

Does the client provide no existing way of setting an update interval or
similar? What other methods could achieve it, or emulate it?

Does the no-ip client provide 'one shot' invocation so updates could be
cron'd on a custom interval?

I agree with Kurt that addition of an 'update interval' feature or
similar upstream would be the proper permanent resolution.

./koobs