Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:18:25 -0400
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman@mycbc.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [4.9-R]Can I Make My DSL Connect Go Faster ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>
To: "Bruce M Simpson" <bms@spc.org>
Cc: "FreeBSD Net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>; "The Jetman" <jetman@mycbc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 17:20 PM

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 03:29:58PM -0400, The Jetman wrote:
> > >     I'm just confused as to why I lose SO much going thru my FBSD box and
> > > that's essence of my question.  I can live w/ *some* overhead for the sake
> > > of using FBSD, but this is ridiculous.  TIA....Jet
> >
> > Are you using user space NAT? If so, this might account for some of the
> > poor performance. Try reconfiguring your system to use IPFILTER, or
> > consider updating to 5-CURRENT and trying pf(4).
> >

> I would be surprised if that were the problem.. I've saturated ethernets
> using natd..
>
> Howver  I agree that more info on the setup being used would be
> beneficial..

    Julian:  There isn't much that I can *think* to add.  If knowing which
LAN cards I use will help, they're the usu stuf, a dc (forget which chip)
and a Realtek.  I admit these aren't superstars, but I just slapped NAT
box together from what was a simple workstation.  The IPFW firewall script
is the unmodified 'open' config, that is:

00050  99654 49243070 divert 8668 ip from any to any via dc0
00100    112    26392 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200      0        0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300      0        0 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
65000 195218 98282299 allow ip from any to any
65535      0        0 allow ip from any to any

    Again, I can even live w/ some overhead due to sub-optimal hware.
I only write bec the FBSD NAT speed is less than 30% of XP standalone
speed !  Later....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+       If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.                +
+       If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.         +
+       If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.       +
+       If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.      +
===  jetman516 'at' hotmail.com  ==========================  Anon  ===