Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:24:38 -0700
From:      Victoria Welch <vikki@oz.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hello and FYI:

Hi,

I've been researching going from linux to BSD.  I spent the past two
days reading up on it and trying to get some information on various
distributions.  Very sad to say that the IRC channels for any form of
BSD are even less useful than the linux channels (hard to imagine, I
know :).

Some places have 10+ nicks camped out in the channel, but never
respond.  Sigh.  In terms of advocacy or help they are pretty
discouraging, taking them off your faq might do you more good than
listing them.  I've tried every IRC network that comes with Pirch (uggy
whinedoz app for IRC) and I can only write that time off as wasted :(.
If one is going to hang out on a channel then, IMO, they should
participate to some small degree...

Still haven't given up on BSD and the the FreeBSD is starting to look
like the best of the lot.  Someone gave me an OpenBSD ROM and that
seemed pretty dark ages stuff.  Good security is cool and important but
it sure seems to be limited as to what it will run.  Oh well, much to
learn :-).

Hope this helps in some way!

Take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, SysAdmin SeaStar.org, vikki.oz.net
"Walking on water and developing software to specification are