Date:      Mon, 10 May 2004 07:11:59 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        "Jeffrey P. Toth" <jtoth@attech.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Help

[ it would be nice if you would reply in the same thread and wrap to 72
chars ]

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:17:43 +0930
"Jeffrey P. Toth" <jtoth@attech.net.au> wrote:

> Thanks Ion-Mihai,
>
> Well that is the problem. I cannot find any problems other than when I
> try to open an http: on the box, or on one of the other computers on
> the network, it fails and has the network error:
>
> Making HTTP connection to www.any-site-on-the-box.com
> Sending HTTP request
> HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
> Alert! Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
> Can't Access 'http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com'
> Alert! Unable to access document.

fetch -vvv http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com/
output please

> I can ping all machines and do a traceroute without problem.

Good.

> The server is online and working I just cannot seem to figure out why
> I cannot use http on the box and suspect that is the same reason the
> other computers on the network cannot access any of the sites on the
> FreeBSD machine without causing a freeze up.

So you cannot access any web page *from* that box either on that box and
away ? Please be clear. And when you try to access a page _on_ the box
it freezes ? Maybe you have a firewall in between somewhere somehow ? If
you're machine is freezing the you have to dig *this* problem. Did you
played with sysctl or kernel settings ? Does ftp from or to the box work
? How much RAM do you have ? Did you disable swap ? Do the logs say
anything ?

> Do I need to add all the websites to the hosts file?

Only if you what to access the by name locally and they are Name Based
on apache in which case you have to add them to the hosts of all your
computers or setup a dns server.

> Or the static IP of the box, xxx.xxx.xxx.150?

No.

> Or maybe add the IP of the router?

No.

> The host file contains these items as setup:
> 127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.name-of box.com
> 203.122.142.24 	name-of-box.com.
>
> Replace name-of-box with the actual name of the box.

Seems OK.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"