Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:12:34 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        Gus Mancuso <gus@fiawol.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error on hylafax build

My installation has no relation to dos - I know about the ^M thing,
which I have only run into in with dos stuff.  The ^M in this case,
happens when I go "script logfile make" in the /usr/ports/comms/hylafax
directory - for some reason it's always shown ^M's in the logfile
when I do it as above, - but it's never been related to any problems
I've had.

Gus Mancuso wrote:

> I'll stab at this since apparently noone else has.  Keep in mind
> I'm no Code Wizard. I don't know if it's just a copyover error,
> but the ^M's you show there typically come from using "dos" text
> files without having the cr/lf incompatibilities resolved.
> So, did you copy the source files from some other MS machine,
> or was this from a tarball?  Do the ^M's actually appear in the
> errors?  Are the errors appearing on the console, or did you pipe
> it to a file?
>
> If the text is stored in the dos cr/lf mode, there is a package
> called dos2unix which will automagically fix that.. Combine it
> with a quick perl (or shell) script to fix an entire source tree.
>
> BTW, reply to me directly for faster response time, but make sure
> to cc the list, so people who know stuff can hear :)
>
> Gus
>
> > I am using 4.0 stable
> > hylafax is 4.1.b2
> >
> > first off, I get these errors
> > BoolArray.h: In method `void fxBoolArray::operator =(const fxBoolArray
> > &)':^M
> > BoolArray.h:31: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type^M
> >
> > then
> >
> > Dictionary.h: In method `void fxDictBuckets::operator =(const
> > fxDictBuckets &)':
> > ^M
> > Dictionary.h:93: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type^M
> > Dictionary.h: In method `void fxDictIters::operator =(const fxDictIters
> > &)':^M
> > Dictionary.h:94: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type^M
> > Dictionary.c++: In method `fxDictBucket::~fxDictBucket()':^M
> > Dictionary.c++:88: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type^M
> >
> > these type of errors continue for the entire build
> > any idea where the problem is?

The price of seeking to force our beliefs on others is that someday
they might force their beliefs on us.
		-- Mario Cuomo