Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:36:09 +0200
From:      Byron Schlemmer <byrons@telkomsa.net>
To:        Schalk Erasmus <schalk@home.incredible.com.na>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Secure by DEFAULT ?? [hosts.allow]

--=-GZv0ZxrWK77ZZnlkQ3Ua

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 19:24, Schalk Erasmus wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I need to know what the implications are to make use of the hosts.allow f=
ile
> on a FreeBSD Production Server (ISP Setup)? The reason I'm asking, is tha=
> I've recently decommisioned a Linux SendMail Server to a FreeBSD Exim
> Server, but with no Firewall (IPTABLES) yet.
>=20
> Besides the fact that it only runs EXIM and Apache, is it necessary to
> Configure rc.Firewall? or can I only make use of the hosts.allow file?

Only applications that honour tcp_wrappers use hosts.allow. Therefore to
ensure that your machine is secure it would be wise to use a firewall of
some kind.=20

> Currently I would only like to allow SSH access from my Home Network,
> instead of allowing the WORLD.
>=20
> I've seen OpenBSD Servers using hosts.deny and hosts.allow files, but bas=
ed
> on the new "Access Control File", it is all merged together in one file:
>=20
> # hosts.allow access control file for "tcp wrapped" applications.
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/hosts.allow,v 1.8.2.7 2002/04/17 19:44:22 dougb Exp $
> #
>=20
> I take that I should allow the other Services, in this order:
>=20
> sshd : myhomepc : allow
> exim : ALL : allow
> httpd : ALL : allow
> ftpd : ALL : allow
> ALL : ALL : deny

That would limit ssh only from myhomepc. So thats correct.

> What kind of protection does FreeBSD need by Default? Since OpenBSD goes
> around saying: "SECURE BY DEFAULT" !?

Hmm, I don't think OpenBSD runs a firewall by default. Basically they
start you off with a very restrictive setup. FreeBSD is reasonably
secure "by default" to. But, if you plan to have this box running in a
ISP environment a firewall would be highly recommended.

--=20

	--byron

--=-GZv0ZxrWK77ZZnlkQ3Ua

--=-GZv0ZxrWK77ZZnlkQ3Ua--