Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 01:18:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Subject:   Re: no call outgoing

> The following situation I'm observing often times:
>
> i4b was instantly trying to connect but the remote side was closing
> the call (no circuit available) - I'm not sure whether this
>
> a) costs a unit each time?

no

> b) was caused by the remote site not being available at that time
>    or there wasn't a B channel available at my site locally.

No B channel available. Local and/or remote.

> - anyway, after such a situation when my local i4b was trying repeatedly
> (in a few secs distance) without getting a line and giving up I let it
> rest for a couple of minutes, say half an hour.
>
> When I then retry I don't get a TEI or whatever is involved.
> I have to reboot the machine. After that, I can dial out immediately.

Possibly the buffer queue allocated to the interface by the
IP subsystem is filled with undeliverable IP datagrams. To do
a "ifconfig ipr0 down" followed by an "ifconfig ipr0 up" (substitute
ipr0 by isppp0 if you use PPP) should suffice. If not, you'll need to
debug.

> So I suspect there is some leak in buffers or something. I'm willing
> to debug this situation if someone can tell me how to enable
> senseful debug information for this situation.

Turn on heavy logging by "isdndebug -l1 -s0xffff and do a ping
to a computer reachable via ISDN. If no output fills your console
immediately, the IP subsystem didn't reach through the ISDN subsystem.
So you get a hint, where to look further.

Wolfgang