Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:17:50 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, <AMDMCG@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HeLP!!! i am trying to install bsd linux and it wont install or give me e...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>; "Josh Paetzel"
<jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>; <AMDMCG@aol.com>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 4:31 AM
Subject: RE: HeLP!!! i am trying to install bsd linux and it wont
install or give me e...

I've probably got a dozen of em.

> >You mean you actually had a working one ?? ..... that was rare
enough even
> >when
> >the things were fresh out of the original packaging let alone after
ten
> >years or whatever
> >its been since those dinosaurs were in vogue !!!!

I've never seen a bad 2x cdrom.  I've got a bunch of them, both scsi
and proprietary (the matsushita cr-563b being the most common) and
I've never had a failure.  I didn't start to get bad cdroms until the
$49.99 IDE ones became popular.

> I dealt with those dumb things and their rotten non-standard narrow
> ribbon cables that got lost all the time for a while at Central
Point
> Software, later Symantec, as like all software companies they were
> toy-buyers, and what
> hardware that the software developers bought and couldn't make work
got
> tossed into the IT dungheap.  (Often we could get it to work with
patience,
> one thing I learned there was how impatient a lot of software
developers
> are with touchy hardware)

They use a standard 40 pin IDE cable.  Only the controller is
different.

> Generally whenever we needed a piece of hardware we found that it
was easier
> to go into "the room" and extract it then to try and requisition
anything.
> It was those drives that got me so disgusted with proprietary
interface
> drives
> that I swore all SCSI drive purchases that I had anything to do with
from
> then on would be SCSI.

If you figure out how to buy a SCSI drive that isn't SCSI, let me
know.  I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

  I did get burned once by buying an NEC CDR-25 which
> turned out to be SCSI-1, with the parity bit permanently switched
off, but
> even today I still have CD drives that I bought nearly 10 years ago
that
> move from older machine to older machine.

So do I.

Josh