Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:06:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Anshuman Kanwar <akanwar@engineering.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel-4.6-recompile, config error

Anshuman Kanwar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am trying to compile a custom kernel (4.6 stable). When i run
> /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL, I get a message
>
>  "your versions of config(8) is out of sync with the source".
>
> The installation is from the latest 4.6 June 2000 CDs, on a fresh machine.

I assume you meant 2002?

> What is going wrong? Should I cvsup the source?

Did you install all of the sources? There have been security fixes and
the ata device drivers have been fixed. So, cvsuping RELENG_4_6 and
src-all would be a good idea. After cvsuping, you have to use the
buildkernel method of building a kernel. The system will identify
itself as 4.6.1 but you ignore that.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart