Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2005 05:44:28 -0600
From:      "Teilhard Knight" <teilhk@crosswinds.net>
To:        "FreeBDS" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB mice

> > > Currently all three systems which run FreeBSD have USB mice, two of
> > > them
> > > just plain Logitech optical mouses, the third is a Logitech MX 300,
> > > but
> > > every other mouse should work when you have enabled moused. Try plugin
> > > in
> > > the mouse when FreeBSD is up and running, it should detect it
> > > automatically
> >
> > It didn't work. Actually I have a little more than a USB mouse, I have a
> > wireless mouse and wireless keyboard which are both controlled by a
> > central
> > unit which plugs into an USB port in the computer. The keyboard works
> > well,
> > with the option of booting with an USB keyboard, but I cannot make the
> > mouse
> > work. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Teilhard.

> load the ums module by typing these  command. you need to be root though.
>

> # kldload ums
> # moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto
>
> then see if the mouse daemon is running using top or ps.
>
> ---
> if this does not work you may have to rebuild yoru kernel with the
> following options
>
> device ohci
> device ums
> --------------
>
> Thanks. Upon issuing the command:
>
> # kldload ums,
>
> I get:
>
> 'kldload: can't load ums: file exists'.
>
> But if I go to /dev, ums is not present. Are you sure kldload is the right
> command?
>
> Teilhard.

i am positive.
The message basically means that the ums module is already. You can
check this by issuing the command

# kldstat

Yes, I have found it. It is under /usr/src/sys/modules. Shouldn't it be
under /dev? The second command you ask me to perform gives an error: 'no
such device ums0'. What should I do now?

Teilhard