Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 02:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        DAVID SLOUGH <DAVID_SLOUGH@nsdgate3.nsd.fmc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install HELP! - kernel panic during install

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, DAVID SLOUGH wrote:

>      I have searched just about everything in doco/lists on the FreeBSD
>      site I could for an answer to this one and have had no luck.  During
>      sysinstall while copying files in the /bin directory the boot image
>      will call a panic for an "unknown/reserved trap", sync disks with 1 or
>      84, and reboot.  This has occurred on every install try.

Do you have a trap number or some of the other details?  Have you hopped
over to the ALT-F2 screen and seen exactly where it stops at?

>      Machine config:
>
>      486 DX2/66
>      PVI-486SP3 Mother Board - 3 PCI/1 VLB/3 ISA
>      On-board IDE controller - 2 serial UART/1 parallel
>      TEAC FD-235 1.44 Floppy
>      Seagate 420 MB ST349 GEO:899/15/62
>      Hercules Dynamite VL Pro V8.00
>      3Com Etherlink III/TP
>      Adaptec 1522A SCSI controller
>      NEC 6xe CD ROM
>

>      My first try was to do an install from a DOS partition.  I copied the
>      bindist files to the HD from a parallel attached CD-ROM and ran
>      sysinstall from the floppy image.  The panic and subsequent reboot
>      occurred.
>
>      Next I added the SCSI controller and CD-ROM and tried installing from
>      CD.  Same result.

This seems to point away from the install medium...maybe motherboard or disk?

>      What am I missing here? Should disk geometry be different?  Is there a
>      known flaky component in my config?

Sounds like a disk, if all the install methods cause a problem.  Or a
cache/motherboard.