Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:19:29 +0900
From:      gnn@FreeBSD.org
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        performance@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tarball of ported libmicro 0.3 available for testing...

At Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:51:33 -0400,
Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Very nice.  There seems to be good coverage of common tasks, and the
> ability to save and compare multiple datasets via the tool which
> generates HTML makes understanding the results relatively easy.  It
> would be quite interesting to compare a kernel built with and
> without INVARIANTS, WITNESS, and so forth.
>
> By the way, this runs fine on 5.x, and seems to only need minor
> changes to go on 4.x as well using libc_r rather than -lposix.  (All
> but two or three of the microbenchmarks compile and run...)

Thanks for testing it on 5.x, that's good to know.  I've been putting
together a port for it.  Should have that ready by the end of the
weekend.

As to what setups to test, there are many and certainly your
suggestions will be in the list of targets built and tested.  The
scripts to do that I have not written yet, but should not be hard.  My
plan is to make it so you can just run nightly performance tests, if
you would like.

> > They are released under the CDDL (Solaris's open source license)
> > so I'll need to know from someone what the issues are with that
> > and ports.  Of course I'll feed my mods back to the authors, but
> > other issues might crop up.
>
> The CDDL is a well-crafted Open Source license with strong patent
> protections; it closely resembles the MPL and is free, fair, but not
> GPL-miscable.  There shouldn't be any particular issues including it
> in ports or using it with BSD-licensed code.
>
> I'm not sure what else one could say about it, nevertheless this
> link:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/
>
> ...has more information.  Did you have a more specific question?
> :-)

No, nothing specific. Just wondering about inclusion in ports, and
you've answered that.  I'm not worried about patents either.

Thanks,
George