Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:11:07 +0400
From:      zhuravlev alexander <zaa@ulstu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange reboots

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:47:15PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 10:36 pm, zhuravlev alexander wrote:
> > 	[ please CC me, because I am not a list subscriber ]
> >
> > 	Hi!
> >
> > 	We encounter with strange casual reboots of our server.
> > 	Does anyone know any tactics of investigation why
> > 	this happens.
> >
> > 	[ns:/u/zaa]>uname -rs
> > 	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
>
> For starters, make sure you have all of the security holes fixed. There
> is a list of advisories on the bottom right side of
> http://www.freebsd.org/

	System are up to date
	[ns:/u/zaa]>uname -v
	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 16 14:42:35 MSD 2003
	root@ulstu.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NS

> If you are up todate, then it is a function of noticing what is going on
> when it reboots. You usually have a clue but seeing it can be a
> problem.

	I suppose, reboot can cause incorrect work of ftp server. (we use
	standart out of the box ftpd).
	Maybe we should switch to another ftp server.
	Any recommendations which server should we choose?

                                     -- zhuravlev alexander
                                           u l s t u  n o c
                                             (zaa@ulstu.ru)