Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:39:45 -0500
From:      "Henning, Brian" <B.Henning@Navitaire.com>
To:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: nfs cache

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Nelson [mailto:dnelson@allantgroup.com]=20
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:34 AM
To: Brian Henning
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

In the last episode (Apr 16), Brian Henning said:
> I am trying to get some info on the cache for nfs on the nfs client. I

> have looked at nfsstat
>=20
> where are the settings located for the nfs cache?

I think they're just part of the system's regular disk cache, except for
the sysctl below.
=20
> the setattr percentages are really high on this server. The is the=20
> main reason i want to know what is going on with the cache.

Getattr, you mean?  That just means that the client has stat()'ed a file
twice within the timeout specified by the vfs.nfs.access_cache_timeout
sysctl, and has pulled the value from its cache instead of querying the
server.

> Version 2: (185583924 calls)
> null          getattr       setattr       root          lookup
> 0 0%          175265837 94% 66975 0%      0 0%          6407008 3%

So here, 94% of the getattr calls were pulled from cache.

--=20
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com