Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:55:11 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        xy 127 <xy127@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a port??

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 02:28:08PM -0500, xy 127 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.3 on a HP Pavilioin with a pentium-300 MHz.
> My question is regarding building a port.  Since I've installed
> FreeBSD this is the first port I tried to build and it failed.
>
> I downloaded cdrecord.tar.gz from the FreeBSD Ports collection and
> extracted it and typed ``make'' and here's the error I got:
>
> bash-2.03$ make
           ^
Firstly, you should run this as root.

> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2: Could not find
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> bash-2.03$
> bash-2.03$ more /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
> PORTSDIR?=      /usr/ports
> .include        "${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk"
> bash-2.03$
>
> My /usr/ports directory is empty.  Where can I get
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk???

Run /stand/sysinstall; Custom->Distributions->Custom(press SPACE to
select, not RETURN) then check Ports

> Also why is it when I extract cdrecord.tar.gz with
> `tar zxvf cdrecord.tar.gz` it puts the files in
> pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/sysutils/??
> Why doesn't it just extract the files you need, whats the
> deal with all the extra dirs?

Hmm, not sure, but it will work OK once you've got the ports tree
installed.

HTH

> Please send replys to my email address, because I do not subscribe
> to the mailing list.  Thanks.

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99