Date:      23 Mar 2003 19:40:04 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Matthew Donadio <m.p.donadio@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.8-RC, XFree86 4.3.0, and GDM

--=-A1RFDDq5W58hGAIE0Z/p

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 13:47, Matthew Donadio wrote:
> [ This was originally sent to freebsd-quesions, but upon second thought,
> it is probably more appropriate here ]
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I am having some trouble with GDM and I was wondering if anyone can
> either confirm the problem or shed some light on it.
>=20
> I track the STABLE tree (release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4) and ports tree
> (release=3Dcvs tag=3D.) with cvsup.  I held off a little while to upgrade=
 my
> system to XFree86 4.3.0, but did the build last night.
>=20
> I brought everything up to date with cvsup, rebuilt world and kernel,
> installed, rebooted, and then used portupgrade (portupgrade -rR XFree86)
> to rebuild X.  I also used portupgrade -rR to bring some gnome2
> libraries uptodate.  All of the builds were successful.
>=20
> uname -a says I am running 4.8-RC
> pkg_version has '=3D' for everything.
>=20
> Users and root can do a startx to start gnome2 sessions.  Everything
> works fine.
>=20
> If I enable gdm, then root can login, but users can't.  I get an error
> message saying that the session lasted less than 10-seconds, and to
> check .xsession-errors.  They can't login with the failsafe modes,
> either.
>=20
> .xsession-errors is empty
> /var/log/messages has a error: gdm[XXX]: run_session_child: Could not
> open ~/.xsession-errors
>=20
> I then created a new user, and was able to login with gdm, but I got
> root's session (shells started in /root, Nautilus brought up /root,
> etc).
>=20
> I renamed ~/.gnome2/gdm for an old user and the same thing happened.
>=20
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Is this a bug?

I have never had a problem logging in as a normal user with gdm or
gdm2.  How are you creating these users?  That is, what are the perms on
their home directories?  What is your test user's uid?  How are you
starting gdm?  What does ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/gdm-binary report?  How
about /usr/X11R6/bin/gdmlogin?  Can you send your /etc/pam.conf file?

Joe

>=20
> Thanks.
--=20