Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:20:36 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: in need of a little advice

Learn perl.
Learn as much as you can about networking.
Knowing FreeBSD is an excellent ground for learning
the vagaries of any other Unix system (oops, sorry we are
not supposed to call FBSD a Unix system anymore .. lol).
Jobwise, the most useful ones are Sun Solaris and HP-UX.
Solaris you can get for free. HP_UX is a real SOB to
administer (I know I did it for many years), but is
widespread. Knowing Linux won't do you any harm either.

Be warned ! I was a sys admin for a long time, it is
a high stress job, and nobody loves you .. boo-hoo.

Be aware at job-interviews that if your background so
to speak is in FreeBSD you may get asked a lot of searching
questions about it. (You would from me if I was interviewing
you !).

Good Luck !

--
Regards