Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 20:01:15 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple to drop Rhapsody?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 10:42:29AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Seen this?  Any comments?
>
> Greg
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jerry_Dunham <jdunham@awesome-f0.us.dell.com> -----
>
> > Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:09:55 -0500
> >
> >> * APPLE EYES THE CONSUMER MARKET/KILLS OFF RHAPSODY PLAN...Apple
> >> Computer Inc. unveiled a new computer called the iMac --with a price
> >> of (US) $1,299 - as part of an effort to regain more of the consumer
> >> market, according to an article last Thursday in THE NEW YORK TIMES.
> >> Apple also introduced a line of Power Book notebooks designed around
> >> its G3 microprocessor.
> >>
> >> Separately, Apple is abandoning its strategy of replacing its
> >> Macintosh operating system with Rhapsody,

It says that they are abandoning that strategy, not that they're
abandoning Rhapsody.

I have read a bit if the Rhapsody mailing list stuff before deleting it.
Apparently the original idea was that Rhapsody would be all things to all
people. Mac-like on the surface, unix-like underneath. I was amused
to see that the people who only wanted to see easy stuff also wanted the
power to do everything the Big Boys did because their GUI would make it
easy. You know, turn sendmail into a GUI and everyone can do complex
things with it, that sort of thing.

Then somewhere along the line it was decided to keep MacOS for the
everybodies and use Rhapsody for real work. And next thing (I deleted a
lot of mail when -chat-advocacy dupes piled up) they're talking about
this MacOS X. I haven't yet worked out what is new apart from the name.

> >>  according to an article in
> >> THE WALL STREET JOURNAL. Instead, Apple is planning to add advanced
> >> functions to the current software in an upgraded version called Mac OS
> >> X. Steve Jobs announced the decision this week at a meeting of Apple
> >> software developers in San Jose, California. According to the article,
> >> Rhapsody is not being completely abandoned - it will be used on
> >> data-storage servers starting this fall, rather than on mainstream
> >> desktop machines.
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

It looks like Rhapsody will still be plugging along, but in the hands of
those most able to gain from it. For now. Plans seem to change
unexpectedly, so who knows what'll be next.

I do know that whenever my brother (a tight lipped Mac developer) comes
around he seems more interested in fingering the unix books that he used
to laugh at, and more willing to separate the operating system from the
hardware in religious discussions. Whatever becomes of Rhapsody it will
benefit a lot of people.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-