Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:52:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        denis.fournier@crc.ca (Denis Fournier)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver question

> I hope I sent this question to the good posting. I work in a research
> environnement and one of my project was to install different kinds of OS's
> for testing. I am using emulators, so I don't need hundred of computers in
> the lab. For now I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.0 and up in a producted
> called VMWare, and it is working fine.
> My question is: I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.X but I can't get  the network
> up because the if_lnc_p.c driver for pci amd network cards is not
> supported. But was supported starting version 2.2.0. I would like to know
> if somebody can tell me how to integrate a new driver in a old version of
> FreeBSD or tell me of a web site that can help me. I would really
> appreciate anybody's help.

Is there any reason you need to run older versions of FreeBSD?
Generally, the way to get the more advanced drivers is to move
to the more recent OS version.  FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE is the latest
release version and there are '-STABLE' versions and development
versions beyond that.

If you really must have the older version AND the driver, you would
have to look in a more recent version and find the driver and then
try to port it back to the version you want.  It might work if it
doesn't depend on other OS additions that are only available in
the later OS versions.  But, the work would be up to you to do.

////jerry