Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 14:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jessem@livecam.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.or

On 03-May-01 jessem@livecam.com wrote:
>>> Please stop this line.
>>
>> That's not very good grammar, but I'll take it to mean that you would
>> like an end to conspiracy theories.  That would be great, and an item
>> high on my own wish list.
>>
> The grammer is fine. Please read the dictionary.

Err, it's "grammar", and I don't quite parse your original sentence very well
either.  I guess it's techincally valid, but "line" is rather vague in its
meaning.

>> uninformed.  We've never even raised the question of selling it, much
>> less having sold it, so there must be a new flavor of crack on the
>> street or someone is going out of their way to start malicious rumors.
>>
> I'll follow up on this. But perhaps what is the *new* relationship
> between freesoftware.com and freebds.org.

freebds.org?  :)  Hehehe.  AFAIK, ftp.freesoftware.com was never related to
freebsd.org except that it provided the primary ftp site.  freesoftware.com was
an asset of BSDi/WC and soon-to-be WRS.

>>> 3) Speculation that the machine (aka ftp.freesoftware.com) was
>>> lost because it never really belonged to FreeBSD.
>>
>> See above.  The machine is still sitting right where it used to be
>> (well, last I checked, the crime rate being rather high in New York)
>> and all it suffers from is a lack of bandwidth, which I've already
>> explained.
>>
> No, you haven't.
>
> One message says, "there is unfortunately no ETA for its return."
>
> Another message says, "A machine to server as the project's
> "master FTP host" has been procured will shortly be available
> for FTP access".
>
> Well, 'procure' in this man's english means you bought or
> were give a new machine. This implies the "old ftp.freebsd.org"
> is gone.

Bzzzt.  Wrong.  You are assuming that the new machine replaces the old one.
(You've hold that old rhyme about assuming things before haven't you?)
The old machine is not a replacement for ftp.freesoftware.com.  It is a new
machine with new functionality.  ftp-master.freebsd.org will be like
cvsup-master.freebsd.org.  When cvsup-master.freebsd.org was built all the
cvusp servers didn't drop off the face of the earth did they?  Come on.
_Think_ a little.  Use that noggin.

Really, for once assume we aren't all out to get you and that the sky isn't
falling and then look at things.  *sigh*