Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 04:23:10 -0500
From:      "Shannon Alleman" <xexen@writeme.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root mount failed: 19

I have a problem. I'm setting up a computer for a client, with a Adaptec 2400A Raid card, its ATA. Using 3  40gb WD HD's. He wants Raid 5 with 2 partitions. He wants to dual boot(don't know why, but anyways he's the client)Windows 98se(approx. 10gb) and FreeBSD 4.5(approx. 66gb). I setup and installed Windows98se. Then I setup and installed FreeBSD 4.5 using slices for /   /var   /tmp  /usr   and swap.  FreeBSD worked fine for a couple of boots.  Then it started with the error:

Mounting root from root
Can't allocate root mount for filesystem "root": 19
Root mount failed: 19

I booted partition magic 7.0 just to check it out. And turns out some partition values were missed matched.. Partition Magic fixed the missed matched values.

This worked fine for a little while.  Then low and behold on a reboot.  I got the same Root mount failed: 19 error.

I contacted adaptec on the issue they have no idea whats going on.  I'm stumpped because this problem lies beyond my knowledge. I really need some input on this problem. Maybe how to fix it, or what might be causing it...

                                                   Thanks....