Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:24:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP RST Handling in 2.2 (fwd)

<<On Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:38:23 +1000 (EST), Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au> said:

> Currently, not even the SEQ number is verified (for an RST packet) - i.e.
> that the ACK does acknowledge the SYN.

> I think there is room for improvement in the code.  Comments ?

Certainly.  It might also be worth implementing the three-way RST
handshake which has been proposed by some to fill some theoretical
gaps in TCP's handling of resets which could (very rarely) result in
innocent connections getting reset.

I don't propose to do either myself, however, although I'm happy to
look at anyone else's attempt to do so.

-GAWollman