Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:54:32 +0000
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 7.0, Open LDAP, PAM, TLS and NSS, howto?

Hello out there,
I have a problem with setting up an FreeBSD box as OpenLDAP server with
several services, like SAMBA, NFS.

The intention is to have a FreeBSD 7.0 fileserver (NFS, SAMBA) also
acting as OpenLDAP server. So far. OpenLDAP is up and running, using
TLS/SSL certificate. SAMBA is also up and running - but it never
connects to the OpenLDAP server due to an connection error, but this
shouldn't be the subject here, I have more basic questions about what
FreeBSD already has and what to install additionally.

I want customers to log in on the FBSD box, so they sould log in
(authenticated via OpenLDAP), change their passwords and shells and
those user specifica should be updated on the LDAP server.

I already installed pam_ldap-port but ran into trouble because FreeBSD's
nss obviously does not have a tag 'ldap' to refere to an OpenLDAP server
(and not files).
Well, I'm confused and not very firm with OpenLDAP/PAM/NSS stuff,
especially if SSL/TLS come into play and I would like to ask those
herein administering those setups, especially within a hybrid NFS/SAMBA
fileservicing environment, where to find up to date
informationes/howto/tipps.

Most websites and HowTo's I found were Linux related or, if related to
FreeBSD, outdated.

Sorry beeing so unspecific, but the problem is complex (to me) so I
would better ask for those who are willing to help or give hints and tips.

Thanks in advance and for your patience,
Oliver