Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:06:32 -0700
From:      Dan Piponi <dan@mvfx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB mouse and 505TX

I have an intellimouse explorer attached to my Sony 505TX laptop
running FreeBSD-4.0 release. It mostly works fine. Here's the output
from dmesg:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfce0-0xfcff irq 9 at
de$
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ums0: Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse\M-. Explorer, rev 1.10/1.03, addr 2,
icl$
ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir.

I'm using the mouse only as a USB device, not in the PS2 mouse port.

The problems are:

(1) If I suspend and resume the mouse on longer functions. As the intellimouse
is an optical device you can tell it isn't functioning simply by that fact
that the LED underneath doesn't become powered up after a reset. A quick look
at the USB source suggests there is no APM support for USB devices. Is there a
suspend/resume problem with USB devices?

(2) moused and X only seem to support 3 buttons even though the mouse has 5
buttons and Z. A quick look at the source suggests that the USB mouse driver
doesn't know the intellimouse protocol. Can I turn on the intellimouse
protocol somehow?

Thanks,
--
Dan