Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:57:22 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com>
To:        printery@blkft.com,
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG,
Subject:   Re: Re: 3c509 nic, kernel, resulting confusion???

Terri,
I cannot comment on your 7% loss pinging localhost.
That sounds seriously out of whack to me.

Re: The 3C509-combo card:
Your demesg output looks like the card was at least partially autoconfigure=
d to be the second card in the box.  (Based on the port at 210.  The ethe=
rdisk autoconfigure will select 300 if it is the only card.)

It's also a combo card based on your demesg output.   Your ifconfig -a look=
s ok but I have to ask, are you using the RJ-45 interface or one of the o=
thers?  I have had to manually configure the interface for 10Base-2 befor=
e.  For some reason, autodetect seems to default to the RJ-45 even if my =
10Base-2 T fitting is plugged in.

Suggestions:
If this is the only LAN card in your box, get the current Etherdisk from 3C=
om's web site (WWW.3com.com) and allow 3c5x9cfg to automatically configur=
e the card.  If you are using something other than the RJ-45 interface, c=
hange the interface specification from autodetect to whatever you are usi=
ng.  You might want to consider specifying the interface even if autodete=
ct appears to be guessing right.

If this is not the only LAN card in your box, let 3c5x9cfg try to configure=
 your card but check for conflicts.  When I do this, I have a hardcopy of=
 demsg to compare the tool's selections against. Again, watch out for the=
 selection of the physical lan interface plug that it is coming up with.

If you have another FreeBSD box on the same wire, I'm assuming you are not =
using a switched hub, having a TCPDUMP going at the same time you try to =
ping can give you a clue if you are making it out onto the wire.

I've had good luck with the 3Com cards at home and at work.  They do have t=
heir quirks though.
Cheers...