Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:04:22 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Helping victims of terror

> >I think that the number is higher, but we can take your 10,000
> >number, and put it in perspective:
>
> I can put it in perspective very well. I live in a town with a
> total population of 26,000. That's less than the number of people
> who were present in the WTC when the planes hit.

Hmmm... and I live in a town with 500 people... an interesting perspective
would be to compare it to the number of people who have died in terrorist
attacks in foreign countries in the last 10 years.  Terrorism isn't new, it's
just new to you (and us... it affects us a lot too)... the new thing is that
they've gone and done it against people who are in a good position to "bring
them to justice" personally I want to make them pay, but heck, the justice in
this situation works out the same way, so all is good.

As to the people who say things like "you just have to understand where
they're coming from" the problem with that theory is that "they" haven't told
us, "they" have made no announcements as to any reasoning behind the attack.
"they" have struck for two reasons only... jealousy and anger.  Had they
attacked only the pentagon and say a few naval, air force, and army bases, I
may be able to stand back and say "they" may be justified.

The closest understanding I can reach with this is that they attempted to do
the same thing as Hiroshima/Nagasaki... ie: Kill a bunch of civilians to save
years of war and MANY soldiers lives.    That anaology breaks down in a couple
of places (but not as many as you think at first), but I can at least to some
degree understand it in that context.

I still don't agree with it... and if it's war they want, I say let's give it
to them... but I'd like to think that we can give it ONLY to them... or at
least do our darndest to try.