Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:48:09 +0000
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: IFLIB implementations of sys/dev/e1000 em, lem, igb pending

Hmm I'm not sure about everyone else but I we treat emX as legacy
devices (not used one in years) but igbX is very common here.

The impact of changing a nic device name is quite a bit more involved
than just rc.conf it effects other areas too, jails etc so given we can
loose access to the machine on reboot if everything isn't done right, it
would be worth considering:

  * Change emX -> igbX to lower the impact.
  * Add shims / alias so that operations on the device name going away
    still work.

What do people think?