Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:49:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David A. Richards" <dave@ns1.richcon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tar extraction shooting itself in foot

Hi,
I've been using freebsd for 4 years.
Today I tried to unpack a large tar file I made last night. It's about 200MB in size. tar can only extract about 500 kb of it though....

This is what I get:

% tar -xvf var.tar
(uncompresses about 40 files)
tar: Skipping to next file header...
%

The problem is it only extracts about 1% of all the files in the archive, then gives up when it says "Skipping to next file header...".

Anyone know what's going on with tar? I tried ftp'ing the file to an NT system with Winzip and it extracted all the files in the archive okay... but I don't get to keep permissions that way.

Sincerely,