Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:49:36 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 03:19:29PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Excellent, consider yourself signed up.  Of course, I also feel
> morally obligated to inform you that if you're at all typical, you'll
> last about 4 months at this and then vanish, never to be heard from
> again, but hey - I'm always ready and willing to be surprised by the
> rare exception to the rule! :-)

Jordan, you really are the *man* -- here I was expecting to get my ass
chewed off by half of -core, but no, I roll in to work and find out I've
been crowned (condemned?) to be the PC-card guy.  Darn that timezone thing
-- never had a chance to defend myself :-)

I'll definitely last more than 4 months, mostly because I won't be able to
do anything significant on this for the next 3.  Can't even think about
starting any new projects until I get my thesis done, get the Xircom driver
committed, and start my new job.  The most I'll be able to accomplish in
the interim is getting folks organised, gathering documentation and
figuring out exactly what we're hoping to get done.

> We give a shit, believe me (most of core owns at least one laptop and
> I personally have 2), we just don't have anyone available to do the
> work.
>
> The reaction you've seen to date is probably more a side-effect of the
> fact that we're a little sensitive about the fact that people
> generally just like to beat us up over laptop support, screaming that
> "somebody has to do something!"  The identity of this "somebody" is
> rather vague but everyone is unanimous in their opinion that this
> "somebody" better get busy and, after a few years of that kind of
> behavior, one can generally forgive the developers for having an ear
> absolutely full of such whining.  It's unfortunate that the next
> newbie who stumbles into the conversation with a "why hasn't somebody
> done something about the lapt..." gets both barrels right in the chest
> as a result, but it's at least an understandable human impulse.

I've come to believe that "if you want something doing, do it yourself" is
a truism, so rather than be one of the whiners, here I am.  Plus, it looks
good on my resume, you know :)

> You'd be given commit privileges once you proved that you were both
> capable of making reasoned changes (not just "hack hack hack, whoops,
> did I break something there?") and of dealing with CVS and all its
> wrinkles.  As "the PCCARD guy", you'd then be the one to track things
> like the ep driver and work with the author(s) of that code to ensure
> that PCCARD support was proplerly dealt with.  In some cases, your
> PCCARD hat would call for you to go in and do the deed on their
> behalf, but I don't think that anyone expects you to take over the job
> of retrofitting every driver in existence so much as communicating to
> the other authors just what needs to be done so that they can do it
> themselves.  It also gives the buck somewhere to stop so that when
> something is clearly broken and nobody seems to want to fix it, it
> gets fixed anyway.

Wow, my own hat and commit privs too!  One thing I was wondering though,
does this mean I should be running -current?  The laptop actually gets used
for the (paid) work as well, so I'd like to it be somewhat stable most of
the time.  I guess -current is where the dynamic device support will be
happening though, huh?

> I'd like you to play point man on this since the "PCCARD movement"
> lacks even a focus leader at present.  Are you willing to be that guy
> and for at least a year, since that's about the most reasonable "ramp
> up" period I can envision?  If the answers to both those questions are
> a "yes" then I hereby encourage all of those PCCARD hopefuls out there
> to rally around your new spiritual leader, Scott Mitchell, as he's
> now The Guy.

I think I can cope with that, as long as no-one objects to a slow start
while I get the rest of my committments sorted out.  If I last the year
without going nuts, even better.

To everyone else who cc'd stuff to me -- sorry I don't have time this week
to reply to everyone personally.  I'll make a general posting early next
week once I've had a few days to think about exactly where I see things
going, and we can take it from there.

Looking forward to working with y'all,

	Scott