Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 14:28:44 -0400
From:      Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor Samba throughput on 6.0

Nash Nipples wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> has anyone actually managed to speed up the thing up to 10-12 MB/s
>
> i have a good 7-9 MB/s on large files and that should be enough, but still, out of curiosity?

No, not really. The performance of samba on freebsd still sucks. I have
a gigabit link between my samba server and windows xp workstation, both
use the intel em card. The fastest i can download from the freebsd
server is 15.946 MB/s, fastest upload to is 13.594 MB/s. Thats pretty
poor for a gigabit link. However, 9MB/s on your link is not bad at all,
one has to consider the protocol overhead.

> Oh by the way:
> 100 MB ethernet
> ping -s 65507 -f windowshost  ~ 10-12 MB/s
> ftp open freebsdhost put/get 500MB.file ~ 10-12 MB/s
> net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=1 who said u have to put it down?

This feature limited the speed of LANs, however recent code has aimed to
fix that, but i don't think its in 6.0. I used a recent -CURRENT for the
tests, you should consider updating to -STABLE.