Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:51:43 -0600
From:      Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best partitioning scheme for my HDD? Please advise.

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 13:38, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> In a system that tight for space (for running KDE, anyway), I would
> just put all the space (aside from some swap) into a single root
> partition.  The risks of something running away and filling a
> partition are much less of an issue than the risks of filling up a
> partition with legitimate data and needing to play games to keep
> everything installed.
>
> Greg Lehey has been recommending this approach in his books for at
> least a couple of editions now.

This is the approach I take with slackware, since I've never had any problems
with system hangs/reboots using it. But, what concerns me about this approach
when using FreeBSD is that I've had spontaneous reboot problems with FreeBSD.
Although I think I've narrowed the solution down to just not using kernel
ppp, since I get the reboots using pppd whether or not I've set
debug.mpsafenet=0 on my system, there may be other issues involved. With
everything under /, a spontaneous reboot might leave the filesystem corrupted
and unusable, correct? I cound certainly try it, though, once I know that
I've taken care of the rebooting issue for good.

Joe