Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:11:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 will ship with NODOC=YES

The build environment is a definite factor here.  I built jade on
FreeBSD 4.0-20000209-CURRENT (GENERIC) with no problems.
Same on a -stable box.  But a -stable release, on a -stable box
that build docproj-1.1 just fine in the ports tree, fell over
building jade.

Kuriyama's USE_GMAKE commit fixed the release build of -stable,
for me.

Today Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> -On [20000211 20:00], Jordan K. Hubbard (jkh@zippy.cdrom.com) wrote:
> >Unless the docs people can actually make the doc tools build
> >again and successfully format the docs under -current. :)
> >
> >Sorry for what sounds like a threat of sorts, but I've been building
> >the -current snapshots with NODOC=YES for months now because that
> >aspect of release building just hasn't worked for ages, and if it's
> >not fixed then I'll have little choice but to continue doing so.  This
> >will mean that no handbook/FAQ/etc get distributed as part of the doc
> >distribution and I certainly don't see that as a good thing.  JFYI!
> >
> >Tail end of last failure (as of this morning):
> >
> >===>   Generating temporary packing list
> >strip /usr/local/bin/jade
> >strip /usr/local/bin/nsgmls
> >/usr/libexec/elf/strip: /usr/local/bin/nsgmls: No such file or directory
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/jade.
> >*** Error code 1
>
> Weird, since I made sure our sp port got upgraded to the last version so
> that it works with CURRENT.   I am still not happy with some of the sp
> patches, but what Chuck Robey committed did what my patches also did
> (albeit mine were a bit cleaner ;) ).
>
> And anyways Jordan, I cannot remember you having notified -doc of your
> problems.  So you get to get a piece of the blame yourself as well. =)

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null