Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:25:29 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ahcich timeouts, only with ahci, not with ataahci

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> I have the drives now running in another server, ich7 chipset.
> Using UFS, the complete machine locks up for ~30 secs with disk load of
> 3.5MB/s. But I don't get any timeout messages and the machine always
> recovered.

Most of ICH7's do not support AHCI. What's about your's?

> Changing to the old ata driver solves the problem.

Did I get right that you have switched from ahci(4) to ataahci?

> Any chance to get this problem fixed? I couldn't see lockups on another
> OS with NCQ in AHCI mode enabled. I'd ship such a disk to anyone who is
> willing to debug.

It's difficult to fix something, until problem could be reproduced.

If you wish to send drive - my address is:
Topol-2, b34, f150, Dnepropetrovsk, 49040, Ukraine.
Phone: +380503622312.
Do not use courier services, only regular mail. Ask for tracking number.

--
Alexander Motin