Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:52:19 +0000
From:      lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Silicon Motion / XFree86.

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

Hey,

  I've been trying to get X running on a laptop with a Silicon Motion
SM710 LynxEM.

  When I startx I get a brief flash on the screen (two vertical lines)
but these soon disappear and I am unable to do anything (even
CTRL+ALT+F1) other than SSH in and kill -9 X.

pciconf shows it as: none1@pci1:0:0.

  I have the following in my XF86Config:

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Silicon Motion Lynx family"
	Driver "siliconmotion"
	ChipSet "lynxem"
	BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option "NoAccel"
EndSection

  When I run startx I receive the following (last few lines here):

(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a
(II) Silicon Motion(0): initializing int10
(=3D=3D) Silicon Motion(0): Write-combining range (0xa0000,0x20000) was
already clear
(II) Silicon Motion(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA BIOS function failed

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

  I can provide the whole output, if required.  I'm fairly sure this is
FreeBSD-specific because this card has definitely been working under
Linux.  There is somebody else that has this problem, I have tried
contacting him to see if he got any further but in the meantime any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

  Many thanks,

-lewiz.

--=20