Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:00:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnu/usr.bin/cvs/libdiff

[First Simon says: ]

> >> This got me baffled.  I just CVSuped a whole new tree and said src
> >> directory has a Makefile and nothing else, but the Makefile thinks there
> >> should be a lot more there.  What have I done?

[and then]

> While I know most of my shortcomings (thanx for the rminder :-), I still did
> nothing short of cvs update (or checkout - matters not), followed be make
> buildworld and poof - the compile failed.  I read the man pages for make

Aha!  Nowhere in your first message did you even indicate that it
*wasn't building* for you, you simply implied that you were confused
at the apparent absence of source files where I knew none needed to
exist, so I mailed my correction.  If you are NOW saying that it
doesn't build and furthermore suggests that /usr/src/contrib/cvs/diff
is somehow missing from your system.  Maybe you don't have src-contrib
in your cvsup file?  How the heck should I know?  It works for me! :)

> several times but do not see anywhere mentioned that I am supposed to know
> anything.  It implies that what compiled yesterday should compile today.

Well, you should have known this one just from the cvs-all mail which
showed a rather large import of new CVS bits from Peter! :) Seeing the
files affected could then have led to a hunt for them on your own
system following your last cvsup/ctm/whatever and, when you didn't see
them, would have pointed you pretty squarely in the right direction
I'd say. 8-)

					JOrdan