Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 12:25:20 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 06:42:35PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps a semi-moderated list would work well, where the "moderator(s)"
> > can kill a topic?  I don't know of Majordomo, or any other list manager,
> > supports such a feature, but it would sure be nice.
>
> This may a be a good idea for -hackers and -current - but for a good
> architecture list, I think we need a real moderator.  We _don't_ want
> to get it over-trafficed and have the brilliant coders quit it.

As usual, we're in violent agreement here.  IIRC, the original charter
of
-hackers was for people hacking on FreeBSD; writing system apps that
need
intimate knowlege of the system, but not necessarily for the core team.

I think the idea of an architecture list that is moderated is a great
idea, but moderating such a list can become a BIG job.  Another feature
that would be great would be to allow "lurker", or read-only,
subscriptions
for those who would like to follow the discussions but are not yet ready
to participate.

--
            Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Wes Peters