Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 09:21:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re joe's questions on vm/mincore/etc.

> something i'd like to have but have not spent time figuring out how to do
> is just directly mmap the ptes for a piece of your own address space.
> Then you don't have to take the hit that mincore requires:
> 	syscall
> 	walk ptes
> 	copyout()
>
> So if anyone out there has mmap'ed their own ptes or knows how, i'm
> listening.

I like Joe's response, about it being really non portable :-), but
in -current as of after this weekend (watch out for another mega-commit),
the ptes will be in their own object.  It *might* be possible to do a
vm_map_find using the pte object.  At least we will be closer to being
able to do that now (perhaps read-only :-)).

After this next commit to the VM system, our fork perf will be about
20% faster, exec will be another 5% faster.

John