Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:36:09 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Jordan Hubbard on Darwin

Jordan Hubbard's preview of Darwin just went up at

http://salon.com/tech/review/2000/11/17/hubbard_osx/index.html

Overall, it's a good analysis -- especially the last section. However, the
article was marred by one EXTREMELY disturbing section in which Jordan beat
the drum for the FSF's software -- licensed under an unethical "poison
pill" license which runs counter to the BSD philosophy -- rather than for
BSD-licensed equivalents. Jordan writes:

>Of course, the proof that I was working with a real operating system would
>be to compile something -- to get some of my favorite Unix-ish software
>running on this system. So I promptly fetched the source code to the GNU
>Project's bash 2.04, my favorite shell and one that didn't happen to be
>included with OS X. I unpacked it without any trouble. (Let's hear it for
>GNU tar, gzip, cpio and pax being standard components!)

If Jordan is to be a cheerleader -- which he does well when he deigns to do
it -- it would be nice if he at least cheered for the right team. The FSF
would love to wipe BSD off the face of the planet, since it inconveniently
interferes with Richard Stallman's anti-business, anti-programmer agenda.
The last thing it needs is encouragement or PR from the one camp that
actually delivers truly free software.

--Brett Glass