Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:53:30 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        "June Carey" <carey_june@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unsigned char portability

----- Original Message -----
From: June Carey <carey_june@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: lucky.freebsd.questions
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 5:48 PM
Subject: unsigned char portability

> I have a question I was hoping someone could answer.
> Does the "unsigned char" C type have any machine architecture portability
> problems ?
> I rather suspect the answer is NO, since I seem to recall that "The Design
> and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System" book mentions that
> bytes/octets are network portable in their native bit-ordering.

As I know there aren't problems with the "unsigned char" C type (8 bits)
on different architectures. At least I never see anything about problems
with 8-bits char C-type. BTW if there will be any problems with architecture
portability in 8-bit char, then it will be impossible to transfere information
via network. Currently we have to use htons() and ntohs() like functions to
convert values between host and network byte order, but these values are
16-bits long.