Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:33:46 +1100
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        "Daniel A." <ldrada@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Andy Sjostrom <andy_sjostrom@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: BSD Question's.

If you want to try an different Desktop replacement OS over Windows XP I
would say you would have better luck with something like Linspire.

But the truth is there isn't much difference at all between any Linux
distribution or FreeBSD and when I see the latest Linux review on some
of those so called professional OS review sites I sometimes laugh my ass
off, heres why.

Firstly they give you screen shots of the latest KDE, this always makes
chuckle since KDE is KDE, its the same on any OS even in Windows XP, why
bother doing it at all, it just shows that these reviews aren't reviews
of the OS at all rather then just reviewing free software you can
install on anything.
Then they show you screen shots of other things such as Gaim, and
various multimedia players, OpenOffice etc, all of them that do work in
FreeBSD as well.

When you review an OS thats built on OTHER peoples free software you
don't really have much to show at all.

Normally the only differences are the installer / configurator and the
package management system. It could be RPM, debian or gentoo based.  Or
some other system thats ultimately just as a tarball with a few text
files in them to allow you to know what it is and its dependencies.
These are the only things that most open source based OS's have to show
thats any different, and the day I see an "OS" review that just shows
you there package management system and there installer/configurator
then I know why are looking at a proper free software OS review.

I use FreeBSD as my desktop on my Laptop as its best for me because I
connect to a lot of Unix boxes via ssh, and to me when you spend a lot
of time dealing with Unix servers then the best way to deal with them is
via Unix its self. (BTW when I say Unix I mean it in the generic way
just like Apple and most non-lost people do.
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/11/2231244&tid=130&tid=3 )

The reason I use FreeBSD as my desktop is that I believe I have the most
flexibility via cvsup and ports, but this comes at the cost of more
manual configuration.
I can install/upgrade the latest KDE with a simple command like below,
and I can also easily deal with any problems it puts in front of me, but
others can't, this would be the biggest problem for new users.
portupgrade -N /usr/ports/x11/kde3

If you not comfortable with that then you need something more auto magic
like Linspire but face the fact you might not have an easy upgrade path
or even have one at all.
I enjoy using the latest versions of all the free software that is
available to a free OS such as FreeBSD or Linux and don't like being
stuck on old versions.
Windows XP is the result of years of investment (billion $) and work at
MS and you dont hear people complain about it nearly as much as older
versions of Windows, this is due to a variety of reasons from the need
for high end hardware vs stable OS.  You can even download white
papers/benchmarks from MS saying how it takes 10million CPU cycles to
load a single simple process over it taking 900,000 CPU cycles on
FreeBSD and 2million in Linux and MS will explain to you why their OS is
better then the others in every way but its always up to you.

Mike