Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:26:41 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: ping from fvwm2 menu

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:54:47 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

>> Because he didn't *need* to solve it for all shells, since his script
>> nicely started with a "#!/bin/sh".  He used the right tool for the
>> right job, without unnecessary effort.

I didn't claim he needed to solve it for all shells. And only the
person that he did it for can actually state which solution they
prefer.

>> How's this:  Stop whining and trying to make Greg look bad, and I'll give
>> you some credit for being able to play well with others.  Otherwise,
>> you get the dreaded "runs with scissors" notation.

I'm not whining and I wasn't trying to make Greg look bad. I had been
looking at the problem before he posted and I was just trying to be
helpful.

Many of you jump to conclusions. At no point in any of my posts did I
attack Greg. At no point did I declare he was wrong.

I used apropos to check for an appropriate solution and it was not
immediately apparent. I use csh and not sh interactively. I usually
write scripts in sh, but I never use the internal read command.  Since
I'm a C programmer, another solution sprang to ming and it's simple.
If you don't like it don't use it.  But I don't need your personal
attacks. I didn't attack anyone. Nor did I attack Greg's solution,
though some of you may have read it that way.

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.