Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 03:16:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat_Barron@transarc.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP spontaneous reboot

timb@europa.com (Tim Bach) writes:
> I just suped and compiled a new kernel about two days ago.
> When i start up slip and as soon as i telnet to a site the computer reboots.
> It does this every time.

I'm having this same problem with FreeBSD-current.  "ping" seems OK;
it's just when I try to open a TCP connection that the machine
reboots.  No panic message or anything; just a reboot.  And the
problems don't start until I configure a SLIP interface; once a SLIP
interface is configured, even "telnet localhost" reboots the machine
(though it might be that the DNS query to look up "localhost" is
what's killing it.....).

I tried going back to a previous kernel, but I had done a complete
"make world" at the top of the source tree, and something changed in
/sbin/route, and I can't add any routes (interface routes and/or
default route), so I can't get out to the network at all with the
older kernel.

If there's a patch, can someone point me to what particular module I
need to pick up - I obviously can't use sup to update my sources
now....

--Pat.