Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:15:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Connecting using X

Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net> types:
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I am unfamiliar with ssh.  Never used or even heard of it... I guess I can be
> considered a newbie.  I've used UNIX systems for 6 years now but never heard of
> ssh...  I guess we learn something every day.  Can you explain it to me?

Ssh is a Secure SH. It works like rsh, only it encrypts everything
that goes over the wire. It also fixed some of the gotchas in the
command in the rewrite. There's also an scp - a secure version of rcp
- and sftp - a secure ftp client. The software is installed on
4.3-RELEASE by default, and probably enabled. Go to google and do a
search for PuTTY. That's a free terminal emulator that includes ssh
support; I use it to connect to FreeBSD boxes from Windows boxes if
all I want is a terminal.

> Also, I never heard of vncserver.  Is this an X look alike?  Can you explain this
> to me also?  I appreciate all the help you can give me.

No, it's not an X lookalike. It remotes *desktops*, not just
windows. If a machine is running a VNC server, you can start a VNC
client pointed at it from another machine, and you'll get a desktop
from the machine running the server in a window on the machine running
the client. There are clients for - well, almost anything that
cycles. I've run clients on my cell phone, and in a browser window.

There are servers for most major desktop platforms, most notably
Windows and Unix. The difference between the two is that running a
client talking to a Windows server gets the desktop displayed on the
Windows machine. A client talking to a Unix server gets a new X
session. With X 3.3.6, I used to use this to debug window
managers, connecting with a client on the local machine to the local
server. The vnc developers apparently do that so they can get multiple
desktops, each in it's own window.

> What I'm looking for is, I have this FreeBSD box on a home (only) network.  I
> would like to have 2 to 3 Windows 98/ME machines Xwindow in at the same time for
> various reasons (mostly to play games and to do word processing).  I recently
> found out that in the inetd.conf file, rexec is commented out.  I will try
> uncommenting that out and see if that solves my problems.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

> Would I be better off using vncserver?  I also have KDE loaded as my Window
> Manager.  I don't want to loose this when I X Window in.

I think Hummingbird provides an X server that uses the MS window
manager, which does *not* sound like what you want. With vnc, you'd
get a KDE desktop in a single window on each Windows machine, which
does sound like what you want. However, they are each *different* KDE
sessions. Some X applications get confused if you have multiple copies
of them running, and that's what happens here.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.