Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:26:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:18 pm, Christopher Nehren wrote:
>>
>> On 2005-03-22, daniel scribbled these
>>
>> curious markings:
>> > security note:
>> > vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure.  any
>> > ports you open/forward should be directed to your ip only.  even
>> > better, try a knocking daemon.
>>
>> This is why you set up an SSH tunnel between the two machines. The
>> Handbook (as always) shows how to do this, with examples.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Christopher Nehren
>
> To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install a
> SSH application on the Windows computer.  PuTTY is a free example, and
> is available at:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

AFAIK Putty is a client only. The original user wanted to access his WinXP
Home system from FreeBSD. So, Putty isn't going to do it. I think there is
an OpenSSH implementation (both client and server) for Win32 that runs on
XP. I know the cygwin implementation works (but the original poster may
not want that much added to the XP system).

http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.openssh.org/

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org