Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:22:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bad modem on isp

i wrote to you a few days ago about losing connection
where i can ping anywhere but cant ftp,http,telnet etc
anywhere. it happened again today so what i did
was just disconnected my modem phone line until it lost carrier
and the system redialed as uasual and all was great again.

i have come to the conclusion that there may be a bad modem
on my providers system and i just happen to dial into this
modem once in a while and get stuck on it cause it dont hang up
it just sits there where other modems hang up after a
random amount of time ~ 1 hour or so.

so here is what i want to do...

can you suggest a small program or script that i can enter
into cron so it will request a http page or something
and if it fails to return the page then hang up the modem
and redial or kill ppp and restart it (same result)??

this will allow me to keep an active connection i hope.

i am keeping a log of all the ip's i connect as so to
inform the provider of the malfunctioning modem line.

thanks