Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:39:31 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: banner(6)

James Howard said on Apr 18, 2001 at 09:31:56:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > That's called ligature. It's different from kerning in that it actually
> > combines two characters into one. (My late father was a typesetting
> > expert in the days before computer typesetting was common, and constantly
> > had to proofread to catch situations in which ligatures were not
> > substituted for the appropriate character pair.)
>
> What other character pairs are there?  I flipped through a couple books
> and only found "fi".

fl, ff, ffi, ffl.  But Adobe fonts seem to include only fi and fl.

I can live without the other ligatures, but "fi" without a ligature
looks really ugly to me in many fonts (like times roman) -- the clash
between the top of the "f" and the dot of the "i" is jarring. And "ffi"
with only the last "fi" ligatured looks ugly too.

I think it would be really neat if some future office suite
used a properly ligatured "ffi" in its logo....

Some much older books also have ligatures for "ct", and at one time (2
centuries ago) I think there were even more.

-Rahul.