Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Peter Sripitisawad@yahoo.com" <psripitisawad@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/36711: Configure Bug:  cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_2 / krb5-  unable to detect MIT Kerberos when Heimdal libraries and includes are installed.

>Number:         36711
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Configure Bug:  cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_2 / krb5-  unable to detect MIT Kerberos when Heimdal libraries and includes are installed.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
1)
Problem:  If $KRB5_HOME is not defined to where krb5 (MIT kerberos5) was installed, the configure scripts fail to locate the include file gssapi.h  With $KRB5_HOME defined, an --enable-GSSAPI flag will be set to true (value=$KRB5_HOME) causing the configure scripts to hunt and look for the required include files and libraries with $KRB5_HOME as the base.

2)
Problem:   With --enable-GSSAPI=$KRB5_HOME properly set, the configure script then attempts to determine if heimdal is installed.  If Heimdal libraries are not installed/detected the configure script defaults to MIT Kerberos.  Problem is if heimdal was already installed, or a "make world" was initiated even with "MAKE_KERBEROS5" = no (make world will still compile and install heimdal libraries without installing the executables... stupid), this will trip up the configure script to ignore the installed MIT Kerberos and compile to Heimdal.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install the krb5 port of MIT Kerberos5, then do a "make" or "make install" of cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_2 from the ports tree with Heimdal libraries also installed.
>Fix:
For Problem #1
Work-around: setenv $KRB5_HOME before "make" or set the option KRB5_HOME in /etc/make.conf.  The krb5 install defaults to /usr/local so the option in make.conf only needs to be uncommented.

Solution:  Patch the cyrus-sasl Makefile to default $KRB5_HOME to /usr/local if it is not defined.  This is most likely to not be defined since most people will not uncomment #KRB5_HOME in make.conf since the default is generally assumed.

For Problem #2
Work-around:  I Ctrl-C on make at configure stage, and removed reference to the m4script cmulocal/heimdal.m4 in the configure.in files.  This causes the lookup to not occur and naturally default to MIT Kerberos.

Solution:  Detect for both versions of Kerberos and provide an option for user to choose version of kerberos during install if both are found.... this is a bug on CMU's side and not FreeBSD... though a FreeBSD fix would be a good idea on preventing make world from COMPILING and INSTALLING libraries for programs that it was told to not install for! ... naturally the same goes for various other dependencies, i.e pam_kerberos*, etc.  The present state of make world is not very elegant.