Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 10:05:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gary Harris <gharris@wr.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio0&sio1

On Friday,  3 July 1998 at 23:48:57 +1000, Gary Harris wrote:

>>> 	Probably same problem as Iwill motherboards.  Check
>>> 	http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html
>>
>> I'd assume so.  Note that the problem has been fixed in -stable and
>> -current (as the web page now indicates).
>
>      More info please. I can't find any reference on the FreeBSD website and I have the same problem.

(reformatting line to be under 80 chars)

> More info please. I can't find any reference on the FreeBSD website
> and I have the same problem.

In general, these things don't get announced except in the cvs-all
mailing list, where *all* the changes (90% of them ridiculously
trivial) get reported.  Here are some relevant commit records for
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c:

> revision 1.205
> date: 1998/06/03 12:30:10;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -4
> Force success of the probe (after doing it as before except in one
> miscconfigured case) if the port is the console.  This fixes several
> bugs:
> - if all sioprobe()s failed, then the console driver followed null
>   pointers in cdevsw[].
> - if the sioprobe() for the console failed but another sioprobe()
>   succeeded, then init hung early when the console couldn't be
>   opened.
> - it was silly for the console to not be there after printing boot
>   messages on it.
> Bugs introduced by this are hopefully no worse than old ones caused
> by forcing the success of the `cn' level probe.
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.204
> date: 1998/06/03 09:43:38;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -7
> Fixed a printf() arg botch in the previous commit.
>
> Only complain about an irq mismatch in the probe if the configured
> irq doesn't become active, and then print the bitmap of irqs that
> became active (including clock irqs) instead of just the first
> (not including clock irqs).
>
> Bugs reported by: msmith
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.203
> date: 1998/05/31 10:53:55;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -22
> Converted the ICU-level interrupt tests (3, 5 and 8) in sioprobe() into
> a test of the irq number, and made failure of this test non-fatal.
> Removed related unused complications for the APIC_IO case.  Removed the
> no-test3 flag.
>
> Deverbosified the failure messages for the other tests.  Removed the
> per-port verbose flag - just use the general verbose flag.
>
> revision 1.147.2.16
> date: 1998/06/16 12:51:17;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +33 -25
> MFC (sio.c revs.1.203-1.205 and 1.207 and infrastructure: made
> tests 3, 5 and 8 non-fatal, etc).  This may fix failing probes for
> builtin ports on IWill motherboards.

The relevant tags are:

> head: 1.208
> symbolic names:
>         RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE: 1.147.2.13
>         RELENG_2_2: 1.147.0.2

This says that the fixes are in RELENG_2_2 (2.2-STABLE), which is
currently at revision 1.147.2.16, but not in 2.2.6-RELEASE (revision
1.147.2.13).  It's also in -CURRENT.

Greg